Tuesday 17 September 2013

No. 15 Half Way Through the 30 Day Challnege, Honeysuckle Berries

Half way through the challenge and I found myself extremely short of time yesterday. Didn't manage to start painting until late last night. I don't really like painting at night and much prefer natural light at the moment. So this was a bit of a rush job and remains unfinished. I had wanted to do something else yesterday but decided it was unachievable in the time frame, so I collected this from my mum's garden yesterday while I was visiting to fix my dad's laptop! I think my heart just wasn't in it.

Honeysuckle fruits have a 'jewel' like quality which I tried to capture, there is a translucency in the vibrant reds but with dark shadows but I overworked it on the right hand. Not sure if this was because I was rushed or because of the bad light, anyway I decided to call it a day and abandon the unfinished piece. Normally if this happens I scrap the work and start again but that's not possible for this challenge. I always think if it's not going to plan I will always be able to spot the defects and think it's quicker to start over than try to fix. 

Honeysuckle berries from mums garden
Colours: Berries Scarlet Lake and Permanent Alizarin Crimson for the first wash, leaving the highlights clear. For shadows add very small amount of Indanthrene Blue. Then a wash of  Quinacridone Red
Leaves: Transparent Yellow and Cobalt Blue Deep,
Leaf bronzing and stem, Permanent Alizarin Crimson and Burnt Umber.
A small amount of Manganese Blue Hue was used for the higlights on the berries and leaves.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment