Sunday 18 January 2009

Beginnings, the SBA Distance Learning Diploma

Having just started the Society of Botanical Artists Distance Learning Diploma Course I thought it might be useful to create this blog as a personal record and to share with anybody that might be interested. I hope there are others out there!  I've been drawing and painting for as long as I can remember but only started to focus on plants about five years ago.



RHS judge Gillian Barlow advised me not to bother with this course the last time I exhibited with the RHS in 2008 but I hope this course will help me to have a more disciplined approach and to focus on my weaknesses.

Looking forward to it. I finished my BSc in Biology in 2006 and several post grad heavy duty things so ready for a slightly more chilled subject.

Never blogged before so forgive me for I know not what I am doing!

UPDATED info May 2015.... Looking Back

I've been prompted to come back to the start and add some more information simply because I've been made aware that these posts can help potential students. At the time of writing this post in Jan 2009,  there was no communication between students it was a very isolating experience, there was also very little feedback from tutors and no videos but maybe that's changed. I believe there are new resources.  The books to accompany the course are fairly limited compared with what's available today and I think confusing. I wouldn't say I regret doing the course and some aspects were ok but I don't think it was the best value, at the time it was around £2000, I think its considerably more now so I assume it has a lot more to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Dianne,
    Celeste here...decided to start from the beginning and read up. Thanks for posting updates!

    ReplyDelete